2 Tbsp oil
2 medium potato, cubed
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
500 g beef (brisket), cut into chunks
500 ml water, or more
3 pcs. bay leaves
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp liver spread
1 chili pepper or ⅛ tsp chili flakes (or more depending on one’s taste)
1 cup green/red bell pepper, cut into squares
1 cup green peas
⅛ cup grated cheese
salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pot or deep pan, add the potatoes and carrots and cook until edges are slightly browned. Remove potatoes and carrots from oil and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic and onion until limp. Add the beef chunks and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add water and bay leaves and bring to boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat to low and cover with lid. Let it cook for 50-60 minutes or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed.
- Once meat is tender and water is reduced by half, add the tomato paste, chili and liver spread and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add back the cooked potatoes and carrots and the rest of vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes. Lastly, add the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
This recipe for Beef Kaldereta was first posted at Foxy Folksy.
Bebs left her beloved Philippines to be with the love of her life and now lives in Germany. A career-woman-turned-full-time-housewife-and-blogger, she loves to share her adventures/misadventures in her kitchen thru recipes, her love for gardening and DIYs, and their travels together on her blog, the FoxyFolksy.com